Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Mikel Visits Tropical Mexican Rainforest

Grade three students have been learning about rainforests, both temperate and tropical.  Of course, those of us who live in Vancouver, know what it is like to be in a temperate rainforest.  However, not many of us have experienced the tropical rainforest yet.  Well, we are lucky to have a student in our class currently in Mexico who visited a tropical rainforest in Nayarit, Mexico.
These are some photos that Mikel has forwarded to share with us.  In one of the photos you see a lake that was formed in a crater of a volcano.  The water is warm.  Mikel found the trip fascinating and was able to point out some of the plants and ferns he had learned about in his study of the tropical rainforest module.   The second photo shows the tops of homes overlooking the tropical rainforest.  On the other side the homes of floor to ceiling windows with a breath-taking view of the rainforest. 

Thank you Mikel for sharing these with us.

11 comments:

Judan said...

I really want to go there and see for myself. Thanks for sharing your photos. I am learning about the tundra now and want to see it for myself!

Mikel the Felix said...

You have to be careful because you might step in animal manure. There was a bug called "Chicharra" (Giant Cicada)they are about 2.5 inches long, they have see through wings just like dragon flies and they make really loud buzzing noises to announce the rain.

Riri in Japan said...

I like the photos. I have never been in a tropica rainforest.
Riri In Japan

Lili said...

Animals can use camouflage to hide in the rainforest and also catch their prey.My favourite part was learning about the animals of the rainforest.

Hi Mikel! What's up?

Anonymous said...

I would like to visit a tropical rainforest. I love to be in nature and I think plants are fascinating. It rains a lot in Vancouver because it is a tempterate rainforest. The first picture reminded me of a trail in the UBC endowment lands.

TC

Reuben said...

The photos are interesting...I would like to visit a tropical rainforest too but I'm afraid I might get bit by mosquitoes!

callia said...

I've never seen a rainforest like that. I wonder how the lake was made in the volcano?

Anonymous said...

I have never visited a rainforest.

But I know that rainforests provide a home for millions of plants and animals.

Rainforests also stabilize the world's climate and provide a source for medicine and foods.

Calista

Anonymous said...

ZAHRA


I really like to go and see the rain forest and see all of the animals there like the macaw
and I really like you pictures

Zahra said...

I have never visit a tropical rain forest.it is the lung of the earth.
A lot of animals and plants species live in the tropical rain forest with people tribes.
In tropical rain forest birds, fish,bats,sloth,monkeys, butterflies,jaguar,snakes,insects and frogs.

Anonymous said...

The rainforest is important because animals need a habitat in a rainforest. Thank you for the photo.
NL